Thursday 23 May 2013

Weapon Project

I'm ignoring a term 2 summary because of reasons. This reason being that I hated everything I produced.. also ignoring I forgot I had a blog.. so let’s move on.
During term 3 we had the weapons project, which combined both visual design and game production to create some uber project. I hated it to begin with – we had to physically make the weapon which was pretty bad to be fair. Construction really isn't one of my strong points, which is definitely obvious from the final outcome. This being said, considering I've never actually done anything like this project before – drawing weapons, making them, so on – I don’t think my final outcome was as bad as it could have been.

To begin with, thinking up weapons was difficult.. the whole underlying construction was interfering with any idea generating process because fundamentally, the project limited you to the shapes you could use due to it having to be made out of found objects. Also, not knowing the basic anatomy or workings of a gun made it more difficult because I don't really like nonsensical aspects on mechanical objects - random wires, leather straps and bits of metal for aesthetic purposes doesn't really float my boat whilst designing. In reality, I'd have to shove this aside to begin designing which was possibly the hardest part. I'm too anal for a project like this. 
 From the moodboard, I gathered I wanted to do a Fallout-stylised weapon, maybe a shotgun or some form of blaster.Thinking about it now, I would have loved to do some form of over the top super gun stylised like it was from Fifth Element. But no, over done post apocalyptic theme was the easier choice for this project.

Silhouettes made me decide I wanted to do some form of shotgun..thing. Well, that was the aim. Combining what I found on a scavenge and in pound stores - which consisted of a can, shower gel bottle, hairspray cans, other hair product bottles, a shower hose, wire, a staple gun and various bits of metal. And tape, lots of tape - I furthered the design, then combining them further to create the final outcome.
The construction, as I said, didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, and in the end I ended up spray painting it completely black - which I found way too boring, and would need to do a paint up in order to help myself gather textures for the 3Ds model.
Photo of constructed weapon
Paint over of 3D model for textures
 Overall, I'm happier with the 3D modelled version in comparison to the constructed version - it's a lot cleaner and just generally more aesthetically pleasing. For this project however, I would have preferred to have a larger texture budget - as adding omissive textures would have been nice for the display on the side, as well as the canister. Or even a colour specular would have been nice - there's one applied for these renders but for hand in it had to be removed, and needlessly said it didn't look as good - or more specifically, how I wanted it to.
Final 3D model

No comments:

Post a Comment