Sunday 27 April 2014

And so it comes to and end, once again.

The second year has flown by! It’s actually scary. In a years’ time I’ll be almost finished this course completely, searching for employment and hoping to land my dream job.. or join mum in Asda making pizzas. No, wait, I discussed this with my parents – aim high in retail, go for John Lewis for the bonus.
Now to question everything I’ve done this year, and everything else in life. What are universities for? I’ve spent 2 years on this course – 3 years at this university specifically. For me, who considered not going to university at all due to “omg student debt” and the impending judgement of not being as good as my siblings were, university has acted as a huge guidance for not only my career opportunities and progression in my ability, but for everyday life. This year especially, university and this course alone has helped me through some pretty crappy times, and I’m unbelievably grateful. It’s allowed me to rediscover what I love, and enjoy everything again.
And that’s one of the things I want to get out of university – passion, enjoyment, showing myself and others that I can do it and that I don’t compare to either of my siblings. And then there’s the fundamental aim of university allowing myself to enter into the world of employment – and I understand that it’s as much my responsibility too. Slowly I’m getting there, more confidence to display my work, and even seeing progression in ability and understanding. Thinking back to last year, getting so frustrated with how everything would turn out, and to now, how I can produce things much smoother and quicker.
For example, 3D at the end of last year, my gladiator. I never wanted to look at him again but I guess we must all laugh at ourselves at some point. The project where I made him too baby-faced so I just added blood and scars to make him look older. Oh dear. The texturing isn’t the worst though I guess.. But the anatomy is poor.
In comparison to the Mortal Engines character project, to which I’m not happy with the final outcome in the slightest due to the textures not baking down correctly, and design not coming across as effectively as I would have hoped, the anatomy is there and I have learnt new skills, building on my knowledge and finding more things I enjoy about character art. Sculpting in ZBrush is one of the most enjoyable, therapeutic things I’ve encountered yet!
My environmental assets have improved a hell of a lot as well. Going from the beginning of the first year creating this:
To the beginning of the Second year creating this:
 Looking at this progress, as well as creating multiple environmental assets for the group project, I’ve discovered more of an enjoyment for modelling environments as well. Learning about the T-shaped skill model has allowed me to realise I shouldn’t ignore any aspect of game art just because I don’t enjoy it as must – because surprisingly enough, you might actually enjoy it in due time.
In regards to visual design? I feel I may have neglected it somewhat this year. My thumbnail prep sketches still take too long, but I’m finally getting the grasp of perspective. And watercolours have been reintroduced into my life this year – love love love this fact!
In the final term of this year, before the summer, I hope to get a chance to revisit traditional mediums and redo some of my finals from the beginning of the year. I see that they aren’t my strongest, and my returning motivation is the best thing about this year as a whole – just even considering this is a huge step for me at the minute and I can’t wait to continue developing next year – not only my skills as a student and potential industry employee, but as a human being as well.

Too deep, lolkbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment